Vernoia, Enterline + Brewer, CPA LLC

Archive for the ‘Business tax’ Category

Top IRS Tips to Know about the Home Office Deduction

Taxpayers who use their home for business may be able to deduct expenses for the business use of it. Qualified persons can claim the deduction whether they rent or own their home. Use the simplified method or the regular method to claim a deduction. (more…)

Got Nexus – Find Out Before Operating In Multiple States

For many years, business owners had to ask themselves one question when it came to facing taxation in another state: Do we have “nexus”? This term indicates a business presence in a given state that’s substantial enough to trigger the state’s tax rules and obligations.


Well, the question still stands. And if you’re considering operating your business in multiple states, or are already doing so, it’s worth reviewing the concept of nexus and its tax impact on your company. (more…)

IRS responds to expanding sharing economy with new resources

The IRS launched new online resources for service providers and participants in the sharing economy. Advances in telecommunications have fueled the growth of the sharing economy. More and more consumers are connecting with service providers for shared car services, apartments and rooms for short-term rentals, and some employment opportunities. (more…)

FAQ: What is a CPEO

CPEOA professional employer organization (PEO) is an organization that enters into an agreement with a client to perform, among other tasks, the federal employment tax withholding, reporting, and payment functions related to workers performing services for the client. Effective for wages for services performed on or after January 1, 2016, a certified professional employer organization (CPEO) may be treated, for purposes of employment tax liability, as the sole employer of a worksite employee performing services for a customer of the CPEO for remuneration the CPEO paid to the employee. To become a CPEO, a person must apply with the IRS for CPEO treatment and be certified by the IRS as meeting certain requirements. The IRS began accepting applications for CPEO certification in July 2016. (more…)

How do I: Get an extension of time to change a method of accounting?

A taxpayer changing its method of accounting must either request advance IRS consent or apply for automatic IRS consent on Form 3115, Application for Change in Accounting Method, to make the change. Automatic consent is more favorable because the taxpayer can request the change on its return filed after the year it makes the change. (more…)

Business owners denied expense deduction for advances to their corporation

Business owners, especially those who operate in corporate form, need to realize that there is a difference between advancing business funds to cover anticipated expenses and being entitled to a deduction for those expenses. A married couple who held partial interests in a corporation learned that difference to their detriment recently in the Tax Court (Aleamoni, TC Summary Opinion 2016-21) when they were not allowed to deduct advances they made to the corporation as business expenses on their Schedules C. The court held that the advances were investments and not expenses the taxpayers incurred in carrying on a trade or business. (more…)

Employer had reasonable basis classifying workers as independent contractors

A federal district court has concluded that an employer who classified its workers as independent contractors was entitled to relief under Section 530 of the Revenue Act of 1978 (Nelly Home Care, DC-Pa., May 10, 2016). As a result, the employer did not owe employment taxes for the period at issue. (Of course, in that case, the IRS will now likely go after the workers for self-employment taxes if they have not already treated themselves as independent workers and the limitations period for assessment has not expired.) (more…)